Westminster became a spot on the Colorado State map in 1911; when the
people living in the Village of Harris decided to form a town government. After the first
homesteaders arrived in 1870, the population gradually increased in the area. By 1910,
services such as water were needed to support the community. The Village of Harris,
named after C. J. Harris, was incorporated as the Town of Westminster, CO on
April 4, 1911. The town was named for Westminster University, built in the 1890s, on Crown Point.