Homepage > News


Monday, July 13, 2020
In: Police

7/13/20 Barricaded Gunman

Date – July 16, 2020


On July 13, 2020, we received a call of a burglary in progress in the 13800 block of Osage Court.  The suspect in this case, Terry Robert Medina (09-01-1978) has been charged with the following:


18-4-202(1)                  FIRST DEGREE BURGLARY  


18-2-101(1)                   CRIMINAL ATTEMPT


18-3-206(1)(A)             FELONY MENACING


18-4-409(1)(2)(d)         AGGRAVATED MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT


We would also like to update information that was originally provided.  Based on interviews that were conducted, the resident that was home did not confront Mr. Medina when he illegally entered the home.  The resident immediately exited upon seeing Mr. Medina.


Date – July 13, 2020

At approximately 11:35am Westminster Police received a call of a burglary in progress in the 13800 block of Osage Court.  An adult male in the home called 911 to report that a man, who he did not know, entered his home through an open garage.  The resident confronted the suspect and then fearing for his safety, ran out of his home.

Arriving officers, to include K-9 officers, C.I.T (Crisis Intervention Team,) and S.W.AT. Negotiators, began to look through the home for the male.  They eventually located the man hiding in a bathroom and heard that he was barricading the door.  The resident told officers that there were firearms in the residence and that the weapons had child locks in place.  As officers began negotiations, the male became belligerent and started yelling at the officers, stating that he was armed and was “going to come out shooting.”

In an effort to de-escalate the situation and convince the man to surrender, trained negotiators tried to initiate rational communication with the man for about two hours.   The man refused to communicate and would only yell at officers.  During this time, officers heard what sounded like a weapon being loaded.  The male then exited the bathroom with a rifle in his hands and officers observed that the child lock had been broken off of the weapon. Initial information from officers is that the male raised the weapon towards officers, who were standing in the bedroom across from the bathroom.  One officer fired his handgun and the man immediately retreated back into the bathroom.  Negotiations resumed for an additional 30 minutes.  Finally, the male exited the bathroom without the rifle in his hands and obeyed officers’ commands.  The suspect was taken into custody and transported to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injures. The investigation into this incident will determine how the male sustained his injuries.

No officers were injured during this incident. It is unknown if the suspect fired any rounds at officers.

The 17th Judicial District Critical Incident Team will be conducting the investigation into this event.  Due to the ongoing nature of this investigation, we are unable to provide the suspect’s name at this time.  He is described as 32-year-old Caucasian male with a lengthy criminal history to include prior burglary charges and an arrest warrant from the Department of Corrections for a parole violation.





Number of views (20485)/Comments ()

Recent News

All Articles

Newsletter Sign-up