Homepage > Government > Departments > City Clerk > Liquor Licenses

Liquor Licenses

Temporary Expanded Food and Liquor Service Areas

The City of Westminster is working to facilitate food and beverage service businesses temporarily expanding areas of service in order to promote social distancing and public health measures related to COVID-19.

In order to facilitate your expanded area, you must apply for a temporary modification of premise for your liquor-licensed area, which will be processed through the City Clerk’s Office in coordination with the State of Colorado’s Liquor Enforcement Division. 


There is no City of Westminster fee to process an application.  The State Liquor Enforcement Division requires a $150 fee to process (reduced from $300). You may pay the state fee online at: https://secure.colorado.gov/payment/liquor

The City Clerk’s Office will submit your forms directly to the state Liquor Enforcement Division.  The state estimates permit processing time at 15 to 45 days.

Temporary Use Application

All businesses interested in expanding areas of service must also submit a temporary application here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KYRRGCX.

There is no application fee.  Processing time is one week.  Please note: depending on plans, additional permits/licenses might be required (i.e. liquor license or building permit). Staff will guide applicants as appropriate.


New Liquor License General Information

In addition to obtaining a General Business/Sales and Use Tax License, that is obtained by completing the Business Registration Form, businesses that will be selling/serving liquor are also required to obtain the appropriate Liquor License. 

There are several different types of Liquor Licenses (see fee schedule):

  • Art
  • Beer & Wine
  • Brew Pub
  • Club
  • Distillery Pub
  • Hotel & Restaurant
  • Liquor-Licensed Drugstore
  • Lodging & Entertainment
  • Optional Premises
  • Retail Liquor Store
  • Tavern 
  • Vintner's Restaurant
  • FMB (fermented malt beverage) On Premises
  • FMB Off Premises

For a description of each type of license refer to the Colorado Liquor Code Part 4.

To Apply for a liquor license:

Contact the City Clerk's office in person, by phone 303-658-2162 or licensing@cityofwestminster.us for an application packet.  Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Both State and City forms will be provided based on the type of Liquor License requested and the entity structure of the business. Applications must be submitted to the City Clerk's office first for review and local approval. 

For specific Westminster liquor licensing requirements, refer to Title V, Chapter 14 of the Westminster Municipal Code.


  • The Special Event Liquor Permit process is only available to non-profit entities.  A maximum of 15 permits per year, per Non-Profit, can be issued.
  • The fee for each day is $100, payable to the City of Westminster.  Fee must be submitted with the application.
  • Use the “fillable” application  
  • The application with all supporting documents must be submitted a minimum of 30 days in advance of the event date
  • Please provide a brief description of the Non-Profit and why the event is being held.
  • Follow the checklist on the second page of the form to complete the application. 
  • During the 30-day period the property must be posted for 10 days prior to the hearing. A hearing before the Westminster Special Permit & License Board will be set
  • A written security plan from the applicant is required and must include:
    • attendance estimate at the event and how the permittee will ensure that no one under the age of 21 is served, sold to or allowed to consume alcohol;
    • how the permittee will control the premise and prohibit alcohol from coming onto the premise from any other source or from leaving the premise;
    • how many people will be involved in ensuring liquor laws will be followed;
    • what type of food will be served. 

Tasting Permit

  • Tastings shall be conducted only by a person who has completed a server training program that meets the standards established by the Liquor Enforcement division
  • Person conducting tastings may be an employee of a retail liquor store or liquor-licensed drugstore licensee, or a representative, employee, or agent of the licensed wholesaler, brew pub, distillery pub, manufacturer, limited winery, importer, or vintner's restaurant promoting the alcohol beverages for the tasting
  • Tastings must take place on the licensee’s licensed premises
  • Alcohol used in tastings shall be purchased through a licensed wholesaler, licensed brew pub, or winery, at a cost that is not less than the laid in cost of such alcohol
  • Alcohol samples must not exceed one half of one ounce, Malt or vinous liquor samples must not exceed one ounce
  • Tastings must be conducted between the hours of 11 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Tastings shall not exceed a total of 5 hours per day which need not be consecutive
  • Licensee shall prohibit patrons from leaving the premises with unconsumed sample
  • Licensee may securely store open and unconsumed alcohol beverage containers for future tastings as long as they are not stored in the sales area
  • Licensee shall not serve a person under 21 years of age or intoxicated persons
  • Licensee shall not serve more than 4 samples to a patron during a tasting
  • Alcohol samples shall be in open containers and shall be provided free to patrons
  • Tastings may not exceed 156 days per calendar year