ONLY A CLASS D PUBLIC WAY CONTRACTOR CAN APPLY FOR A RIGHT OF WAY (ROW) PERMIT. Guidance on how to apply for a CLASS D PUBLIC WAY CONTRACTOR'S LICENSE is below. Guidance on how to apply for a ROW PERMIT will follow.

Class D Public Way Contractor's License

Contractors must have a current Class D public way contractor's license and be in good standing with the City of Westminster to apply for a ROW Permit. The requirements to obtain a Class D Public Way Contractor's License are below:

  • Surety Bond payable to the city in the amount of $5,000.00.
  • Insurance coverage in accordance with the following schedule: 


Contractor license applications will be processed through our Online Permit Manager.  Supporting documents including bonds and insurance, can be emailed to ONLY after the license application is submitted.This license requirement is non-negotiable and enforced by the Westminster Municipal Code Section 5-5-5.

Paying Contractor Registration Fees SOP


All work performed on public rights of way require a permit to be issued to a licensed contractor. 

This work includes, but is not limited to, the construction, reconstruction and remodeling of storm drains, irrigation ditches, fire lines, sewer and water lines, sewer and water mains, curb and gutters, sidewalks, streets, potholing, boring, traffic-control devices and similar improvements which are constructed on public rights of way, easements and other public property, and utility services on private property between the property line and the building

This permit requirement is enforced by the Westminster Municipal Code Section 9-2-1 .


All permits will receive a review by the Engineering Division under the direction of the City Engineer. Permit applications and supporting documents including traffic control plans, are required to be uploaded into our Online Permit Manager.  Emails or hard copies will be not be processed.

eTrakit - Applying for ROW permits

SOP - Paying Fees


The Colorado 811 locate confirmation number must be entered on all applications.

All utilities must be identified through the locate process prior to excavation of soil, including boring, can take place. In the event, that a City Utility cannot be located within the specified boundaries of the request area; the contractor/excavator will be notified by e-mail and/or phone of a mandatory on-site meeting to discuss alternate measures for protecting the utility. No excavation of soil, including boring, is permitted until the on-site meet has taken place and all utilities have been located. Failure to comply will be deemed unreasonable action by the contractor/excavator and may result in the contractor/excavator assuming all liability for damages to such utilities.

Red - Electric power lines, cables, conduit, and lighting cables

Blue - Drinking water

Orange - Telecommunication, alarm or signal lines, cables, or conduit

Purple - Reclaimed water, irrigation, and slurry lines

Yellow - Natural gas, oil, steam, petroleum, or other gaseous, or flammable material

Pink - Temporary survey markings, unknown/unidentified facilities

Green - Sewers and drain lines

White - Proposed excavation limits or route