Home > Government > Departments > City Clerk > Business & Sales Tax Licenses

Business & Sales Tax Licenses

Operating a Business in Westminster?

Review the questions below and by using the buttons to access the forms, apply for the appropriate license or licenses required.  After completing the necessary forms, print and sign.

Forms can be submitted:

  • Applications that do not require a fee can be submitted by email to licensing@cityofwestminster.us or by fax, 303-706-3924
  • By mail to the City Clerk's Office, 4800 W. 92nd Ave., Westminster, CO 80031
  • In person at the City Clerk's Office, 4800 W. 92nd Ave.  Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Commercial based businesses must complete and submit the Business Registration Form to obtain a General Business/Sales and Use Tax License.

Every business operating in a commercial building, within the city limits, is required to obtain this license.  

A separate license is required for each location in the city.

Certain Specialty Licenses may also apply.

 Businesses that want to sell liquor must have the appropriate Liquor License

Pet Shops require an additional license.   

Businesses with pool tables or coin operated game machines are required to obtain an Amusement Machine License and pay a $40 fee for each machine. 

Commercial businesses that also make catalog or internet sales must complete the Business Registration Form to obtain a Sales Tax Only License and report all such sales separately from sales at locations within the city. 

There is no fee for this license.

Home-based businesses must complete and submit the Business Registration Form and the Home Occupation Supplemental Registration.  

Home Occupation/Sales and Use Tax License is required for every business using a home within the city limits, for their business or as their business address. 

There is no fee for this license.  


If the business location is not within the city limits, but is leasing equipment or selling a product (including catalog and internet sales) within the city, a Sales Tax License is required.  

Complete and submit the Business Registration Form indicating "Out of City Location" in Box 8.  

There is no fee for this license.  

NOTE: Contractors coming into the city generally do not need a Sales Tax License, but do need to register with the Building Division in order to pull a construction permit.


Individual/Sole Proprietors must also complete and submit the Verification of Lawful Presence.  

NOTE: This form must be notarized or presented in person, at the City Clerk's Office, with an authorized form of identification.

Registrations are reviewed by a variety of city departments to ensure compliance with building, land use, taxation and other laws and regulations.

This process takes approximately two to four weeks. Upon approval the license will be mailed to you. 

It is unlawful for any person to engage in business in the city without first obtaining the appropriate licenses. 

Submit the registration with sufficient time for review and approval prior to the start of business. 

Also, review the registration for legibility, errors and omissions, which may also delay the approval process.

To change any information (such as location, phone number, mailing address, ownership or to renew an existing license), use the Business Registration Form indicating "Update Information for Account" in Box 6.  

Please provide the current account number.

To close an account submit a request in writing to licensing@cityofwestminster.us.

Please provide the name of the business, the address and the date the business closed. 

If the business has moved out of the city, advise if a sales tax only license is still needed. 

NO permit is required for door-to-door soliciting. However, the appropriate Sales Tax License is required for all local, home based or remote businesses selling goods or merchandise via door-to-door.  Complete the Business Registration Form to obtain this license. 

It shall be unlawful for any person to solicit or attempt to solicit or to invite or attempt to discuss, verbally or in written form, ideas and issues, or distribute written information, at any private residence which has been posted with a sign stating "no solicitations," "no trespass" or a sign with similar meaning.

Solicitors shall be allowed to solicit in residential areas between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.


Contact the City Clerk's office at 303-658-2162, Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., or licensing@cityofwestminster.us.