Animal Management Hours

Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Saturday - Sunday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

PLEASE NOTE: the last hour of the shift is for emergency and walk-in appointments only

We do not have Animal Management Officers available on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's day.

If you need an Animal Management Officer outside these hours, call 303-658-4326 to leave a message and your call will be returned within 24 hours. For urgent matters, call non-emergency dispatch at 303-658-4360.

Animal Bites 
Must be reported to Animal Management: 303-658-4360 

Barking Dogs  
It is unlawful to allow an animal to disturb any person by audible sound. First complaints are issued a warning; subsequent complaints within one year can result in a summons to court. The city's barking dog ordinance can be found in the City Code under Title VI (6-7-7)Report a barking dog.

Animal Neglect 
It is unlawful for the owner of any animal to deprive such animal of adequate and wholesome food and water, protection from the elements, opportunity for exercise, adequate veterinary care, or to otherwise neglect the animal in such a manner as to endanger its health or cause it to suffer. 

Animals at Large 
If you find an animal at large, please contact dispatch at 303-658-4360 or bring it to Westminster Police Department. It is unlawful for the owner of an animal (including cats) to fail to restrain it from running at large. If an animal is caught at large and is not spayed/neutered, the court can assess a $225 fine for a first offense. 

Restrictions on Possession of Animals 
Westminster citizens are permitted to own/harbor no more than four dogs or cats. Please check the municipal code for restrictions on exotic animals (snakes, lizards, etc.) and small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc.). Livestock is not allowed. 

Breed Specific Ban
In the City of Westminster, there is not any breed specific laws in place. Westminster has adopted rules designed to control dangerous and vicious animals in the city. The city opted for this control method rather than a ban on specific breeds because research shows the problem more influenced by owner negligence then breed.

All residents of the City of Westminster, both in Adams and Jefferson counties, are required by law to license their dogs.

Dog licensing benefits our community by:

  • Dog licenses can be traced around the clock by participating jurisdictions, which results in fewer impounds, as the animal management officer may be able to return the dog to the owner directly, eliminating the need to take the dog to the shelter.
  • Ensuring dogs have their current rabies vaccination, protecting pet owners and their animals by tracking dangerous and aggressive dogs and habitual offenders of animal laws.

How to Obtain a Dog License:

Dog License Fee: $20
A current rabies vaccination is required.

Westminster Police Department, 9110 Yates St., Monday - Thursday (excluding holidays) from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (cash or check accepted only)

Foothills Animal Shelter: 580 McIntyre St. Golden, CO 80401 - 7 days a week, excluding holidays 

Foothills Animal Shelter

License Renewals: 

Licenses are renewable annually and notified by mail when the license is up for renewal. Foothills Animal Shelter handles the administration of the pet licensing program.

Rabies Vaccinations
Dogs and cats, four months of age and older, must be vaccinated and kept updated thereafter. A rabies tag must be worn at all times. The owner must be able to provide proof of current rabies vaccination.

Upcoming Low-Cost Vaccination Clinics

Reduced Spay and Neuter Services

Find low-cost spay and neuter information from these organizations: SpayToday Healthy Pet Center, Neuter Now!, and Denver Dumb Friends League..

The keeping of bees and chickens on single-family residential lots in the city is permissible with an approved permit from the city.

Most single-family residential properties are allowed to have up to two beehives and six chickens, subject to the regulations and limitations contained in the ordinance.

Homeowners Associations (HOAs) may still restrict or prohibit the keeping of bees and/or chickens through their covenants. Therefore, families located in covenant-controlled communities may not be allowed to participate.


Applications for chickens and beekeeping, and/or pot-bellied pig ownership, are only be accepted by mail. Upon staff review and approval of the application,  a permit number and issue date will be mailed back within five business days.

Ownership of chickens, bees or pot-bellied pigs is unlawful without an approved permit.

Applications must be complete to include initials and signature where indicated. 

A site plan is required within the permit application. View a sample of a site plan.

Incomplete applications will be sent back to the applicant.

Download Application- (print and mail)
Check or Money Order must accompany the application. There is a one-time $25 fee. (Make checks out to: The City of Westminster)

Mail applications to:
Westminster Police Department
Attn: Animal Management (Permit)
9110 Yates Street
Westminster, CO  80031

Read the Backyard Livestock Guide for further information and requirements.

Questions: 303-658-4326

The City of Westminster has many open spaces, home to a variety of wildlife. In the spring and summer months, when people are outdoors, they see and interact more with wildlife. Some wildlife have adapted so well that they live in our neighborhoods. Living with wildlife can present some problems for their neighbors, the humans. Whether it is a raccoon living in your chimney or a skunk digging under your cement patio, questions and concerns will come up about living with wildlife. 

For more information visit:  Colorado Parks & Wildlife website.

Living Safely with Coyotes

The city would like to remind residents of the dangers of coyotes. Typically spring time is breeding season for coyotes, and they are very active throughout day and evening hours. With the warmer temperatures, these activities may begin sooner.

Please see this brochure on the most commonly asked questions about urban coyotes.

Please see this brochure on how to deter coyotes from your property.

Under Westminster Municipal Code 6-2-9 Firearms: (A) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally, knowingly or recklessly discharge firearms, deadly weapons or destructive devices of any kind or description within the limits of the city; provided, however, that this shall not apply to police officers in the discharge of their duties. 

More information about coyotes from Colorado Parks & Wildlife

Feeding of Wild Animals

It is unlawful to knowingly place or provide food for any wild animal. This prohibition shall not apply to squirrels or birds.

Disposing of Dead Wildlife

Colorado Environmental Health recommends the following procedure for disposing of dead animals:
1. Do not pick up or touch dead animals.
2. Use a long-handled shovel to pick up the dead animal.
3. Place the plastic bag on the ground.
4. Using the shovel, place the animal in the plastic bag.
5. Tie a knot in the bag.
6. Dispose of the bag in an outdoor trash container.

Additional Links

Questions: Animal Management, 303-658-4326