photo credit

photo credit

Please note: The City of Westminster has taken additional precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Many of our staff continue to work remotely and may be away from their offices. For information on City facility reopenings to the public and hours, please visit our COVID-19 information page. Please email the Planning Division at for further assistance and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding and patience, and we look forward to serving you.

About the Planning Division

The Planning Division is primarily responsible for the coordination and approval process for all proposed land development, and is involved in a number of special projects and long-term land use, urban design and planning activities. The division also performs inspections and enforces development plans and processes to general zoning requests.

Development Review Resources

Planning Services and Applications

Landscape Changes - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The City of Westminster Community Development Department staff regularly assist residents and businesses in Westminster seeking to update their landscaping with lower water using choices. The purpose of this FAQ is to clarify the process for landscape changes.

Special Event/Temporary Use - COVID-19 Updates and Procedures

Special Event Permits are required for any events that will be held on the City Streets and Right-of-Way, within Parks, Open Space, and Trails, and for any event lasting more than two-hours on Private Property. The City has centralized the required forms and review process for all types of Special Event Permits in one Application Packet. Please review the entire Application Packet and submit all of the required forms during application.

COVID Special Event Application Packet - Updated Aug. 18, 2020

Please note: If you have an event on public property, please visit the Parks & Recreation Special Events Page.

  • Visit the parks rental facility page if you only want to rent a Park Pavilion, the Promenade Terrace or a room in a city facility; you do not need to complete the Special Events Permit application.
  • Visit the Standley Lake Regional Park application if you want to host a special event at the lake. Please contact Sully Tun-Ake at 303-658-2790.

Conditional and Special Use Permits

Request to apply for a review of a proposed use that is not an outright permitted use by right within a zoning category.  

Conditional Use Permit Application

Special Use Permit Application

Please click here to access application materials and resources related to temporarily expanding your business service area.

On Wednesday, May 27 an Emergency Directive was put in place to modify certain sections of the Westminster Municipal Code (WMC) to temporarily allow restaurants and bars to expand into designated outdoor areas adjacent to their businesses, in order to promote social distancing and public health measures related to COVID-19.

In addition, the order temporarily modifies WMC provisions related to changing, altering or modifying licensed liquor service premise areas subject to State Liquor Enforcement Division requirements.


Request to modify or create a new telecommunication facility on public or private property

Telecommunications Submittal Guide for Applicants

Adjacent Property Owner Notice Letter Template

Small Cell Infrastructure Guidelines


Request to apply for a form of relief from the designated zoning requirements that would otherwise be prohibited by code.

Sign Variance 

Variance Application

Growth Management Code Update 

Administrative Support


Planning Manager

Rita McConnell, Planning Manager, 303-658-2093,

Principal Planner

John McConnell, Principal Planner, 303-658-2474,

Planning Staff

Stephanie Ashmann, Senior Planner, 303-658-2104,

Patrick Caldwell, Senior Planner, 303-658-2090,

David German, Senior Planner, 303-658-2479,

Amy Johnson, Senior Planner, 303-658-2098,

Jacob Kasza, Planner, 303-658-2123,

Nathan Lawrence, Senior Planner, 303-658-2099,

Josh Vaughn, Associate Planner, 303-658-2101,

Jennifer Baden, Associate Planner, 303-658-2097,

Long Range Planner

Andrew Spurgin, Long Range Planner, 303-658-2127,

City Urban Designer
Sean McCartney, City Urban Designer, 303-658-2095,